Tuesday 8 January 2008

By popular request it's time to enter a new entry. After an inspired start I've kind of lost the thread recently. I expect it'll come in waves.

New things are coming fast and furiously. Santa Clause left a cryptic black and white radar image under the Christmas Tree showing what suspiciously looked like a flying banana on a black background. Little Miss or Master Edwards No 3 is to arrive about the beginning of August (just like his Daddy did - clever little thing). It's nice for many reasons, not least of which is that it is over 100 years since any baby lived in this old house of ours.

New Year came and went with Bangs both Champagned and fireworked. And in a drunken moment I made the last ever (by no means not the first) decision to quit ye olde tobacco. Not as much fun as one might have expected, but I've managed so far. Now I've got so much time on my hands, sitting about between lessons not quite knowing what to do when previously the weed perfectly filled the gap. Pockets are strangely empty of the tools of the trade, matches (never liked lighters), cig boxes, tobacco pouch, filters, papers, etc. Found myself carrying old keys instead for reassurance. But I WILL NOT be bothered with middle class poncy nicotine patches or artificial plastic cigarettes. If you stop, you stop. The End.

We'll see. Send me some power to slake my new thirst and put a hold on the appetite, or I might just inadvertently explode.

2 comments:

helen said...

Congratulations!! How wonderful, how absolutely wonderful. Oh, I'm really excited for you!

And the cigs... well done. Ok, well done so far. Audrey'd be proud!

XX

Johnny C said...

Alastair, I know only too well how hard it is to use up all those 7 minute intervals. Nothing fills that void and the need to suckle at that dark teat weighs heavy. You have my utmost respect.

You are sure, I hope that it is indeed Master Edwards No.3 and not in fact a infant banana. The last thing you need is for your wife to deliver a basket of fruit come summer time. Either way, congratulations but no cigars.

love JC